2020 End-of-Year Plans and Commencement
We are pleased to recognize the hard work of the class of 2020. Over the last several weeks, we have solicited opinions of students and parents and we are doing our best to come up with safe and creative ways to recognize our seniors. We have some plans set concretely in place so families can make future plans based on these dates, but we also acknowledge that coronavirus (COVID-19) has left us uncertain about how these events will play out.
The end-of-year award ceremony and picnic is scheduled for 11:00 am on August 14, however, if we have not entered phase 4 of Governor Inslee’s reopen plan, we will cancel this event. We are hopeful for a full commencement ceremony for our seniors on August 14 at 7:00 pm at First Presbyterian Church. If events are limited to 50 people or less at this time, we will issue one ticket to each student to attend that day, while streaming the event online.
The 2020 commencement address will be given by Pastor Rich Hamlin, the founding pastor of Evangelical Reformed Church, established in 1997. Pastor Hamlin has a BAE from Pacific Lutheran University and MA from Trinity Theological Seminary. He is also the author of If They Could Talk and Prepare to Meet Your God.
Schedule of Events
- May 15: Chamber Choir video released
- Week of May 18: Staff and faculty will be delivering senior yard signs to their homes. Seniors are encouraged to wear their caps and gowns and include their families in this photo opportunity.
- May 25: Photography Show and Senior Art Show videos released
- May 29: Spring Art Show video released
- Week of June 1: Senior Slideshow, Student-Athlete Show, and the Covenant Choir’s Senior Solo video released
- June 4-5: Finals in Math, History, English, Science
- June 8-10: Video from Student Council released. Underclassmen drive-thru campus to pick-up locker items (the office staff has bagged any items for you), drop-off books, and sign senior yearbooks in the parking lot. Grade 9-11 schedule is as follows:
- Students with last names A-F: Monday, June 8, 9 am – 12 pm
- Students with last names G-M: Tuesday, June 9, 9 am – 12 pm
- Students with last names O-W: Wednesday, June 10, 9 am – 12 pm
- June 11: Seniors to come to campus to pick-up yearbooks, receive locker items, and drop-off books. Please wear the sweatshirt of the college you will be attending or a sweatshirt that represents next year’s plans, so we can take your picture. Senior schedule is as follows:
- Students with last names A-G, Thursday, June 11, 9 – 10 am
- Students with last names J-M, Thursday, June 11, 10 – 11 am
- Students with last names N-S, Thursday, June 11, 11 am – 12 pm
- August 14: Award Ceremony & Commencement
- 8:00 am – Senior Breakfast at Covenant in DeSoto then departure for commencement rehearsal at First Presbyterian Church
- 11:00 – All-school Award Ceremony at Covenant in the Sanctuary (If we are on phase 3 of reopening still, this event will be canceled)
- 12:00 pm – All-school picnic in the Narthex (If we are on phase 3 of reopening still, this event will be canceled)
- 6:30 pm – Seniors arrive at First Presbyterian Church with their cap, tassel, and gown and gather in the side chapel (do not leave valuables in the chapel)
- 7:00 pm – Class of 2020 Commencement at First Presbyterian Church
If you are a senior who ordered graduation announcements and you would like to change the date on your inserts, go to www.RRGrad.com to print an editable template.
Final transcripts and report cards will be sent to seniors in mid-June and colleges by the end of June. Let us know if there are special requests regarding transcripts by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need a transcript from Northwest Nazarene University, contact them directly using this link later in June.