Offering Over a Year of College Credit Through our Concurrent Credit Program
Students attending Covenant can earn over a full year of college credit while in high school. This is a valuable option for students desiring to maintain their four-year high school experience while earning college credit to enhance their college applications and gives some students an opportunity to graduate college early.
Concurrent Credit - What is it?
The concurrent credit program is a partnership between Northwest Nazarene University and approved high schools. It offers junior and senior students the opportunity to begin earning college credit while still enrolled in high school. Unlike AP or CLEP credits which typically allow a student to skip prerequisite courses but do not always earn college credits, NNU credits are college credits granted by an accredited four-year university. Students who earn credit through the concurrent credit program will receive the same transcript record from NNU as full-time four-year college students attending NNU.
Several of Covenant's courses are approved by Northwest Nazarene University to earn college credit through their concurrent credit program:
- US History (6 credits)
- Advanced Speech (3 credits)
- Advanced Biology & Lab (4 credits)
- English Composition (3 credits)
- Drama Performance (1 credit)
- Pre-Calculus (6 credits)
- Spanish III (8 credits)
- Spanish IV (8 credits)
If a student were to take all concurrent college credit courses offered, they would complete 39 semester credits for college. At most universities, students taking a full load of classes complete 30 semester credits per year.
Concurrent Credit Cost Comparison
The cost for earning the credits is $75 per semester credit. A 4-credit semester course would cost $300 total.
- The average Christian college today charges more than $700 per semester credit or $2,800 per 4 credit semester course, not including book costs.
- The average Washington State four-year public university charges approximately $275 per semester credit or $1,100 for a 4 credit semester course not including book costs.
- Covenant High School provides all textbooks for these college-level courses with no additional book fees.